Seeing as many of us have spent the festive period over Zoom this year, I thought I would share a little Christmas quiz I made this year, with a slight twist! One that can be played with 20 odd people may be tricky to find, but this one can be played with all ages of the family, whether their roots are from India, they were brought up in the sun of Kenya or are firmly British born. Like many families of the East African Asian diaspora that now reside in Britain, there is a huge cultural mix, so this festive quiz represents that to an extent so everyone can reminisce, be it the beautiful Lake Nakuru, the influential film Sholay, or a classic Friends episode. Use this for your next festive zoom quiz (Christmas may be over but the festivities don’t have to be) or save for next year! Let me know in the comments if you’ve enjoyed the quiz or added more questions 🙂
1) What year was the first Home Alone movie released?
2) Which capital city is the centre of India’s film industry?
3) What year did Kenya obtain independence from the UK?
4) Which country first introduced eggnog?
5) Which two actors play the criminals Veera and Jai in the 1975 film Sholay?
6) What is the Swahili word for “all pull together”?
7) What well-known Christmas carol became the first song ever broadcast from space in 1965?
8) Which country has the most number of UNESCO world heritage sites?
9) According to science, would Santa’s reindeer be male or female?
10) What is the longest running film in India to have played in cinema’s since its release for 24 years?
11) What is Kenya’s Lake Nakuru National Park famous for?
12) Who sings the popular hip hop song, Christmas in Hollis?
13) In which European country is Christmas celebrated on Christmas Eve?
14) Which female actress starred opposite the actor Raj Kapoor in the 1949 film Barsaat?
15) Which lake is shared by Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania?
16) In the Christmas episode of friends when Ross can’t find a Santa Claus outfit, what does he dress up as instead?
17) What luxury sports car is used by the Italian police force?
18) What is the best-selling Christmas song ever?
19)Who wrote the national anthem of India?
20) In the EastEnders Christmas Day episode in 1986, what did Dirty Den hand Angie Watts?
21) What is Lakshmibai, the Warrior Queen of Jhansi, famous for?
22) In which city and what year was pizza invented? (2 points)
23) In what year was the first televised Christmas speech: 1954, 1957, 1959 and which monarch was it by? (2 points)
24) Who is the only person in the world that can travel around the world without needing to quarantine?
1.7 December 1990
3. 12th December 1963
5. Dharmendra and Amitabh Bachan
7. Jingle Bells
8. Italy – has over 40
9. Female because only they retain their antlers during winter
10. Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge
11. Flamingos, but also has 400 types of birds
12. Run DMC
15. Lake Victoria
16. The holiday armadillo
17. Lamborghini Huracan
18. White Christmas by Bing Crosby
19. Rabrindranath Tagore
20. Divorce papers
21. Led an army against the British East India Company in the infamous mutiny of 1857 and became a symbol of revolt against the British Raj
22. Naples 1889
23. 1957 by Queen Elizabeth II
24. Santa Claus!